(Page 2 of 8)
The Seattle Department of Transportation’s (SDOT) mission is to deliver a high-quality transportation system for Seattle. Through the Northgate Bridge project, we will improve connections between the east and west sides of the Northgate community, helping knit together a neighborhood historically divided by a 10-lane interstate and maximizing the use of transit facilities.
When complete, the bridge will help connect the neighborhood’s thriving job and retail centers with the rest of the city and region.
Northgate is one of Seattle’s fastest growing areas. In addition to being a major residential and employment hub, Northgate is also:
- 1 of 6 “urban centers” in Seattle’s Comprehensive Plan
- Listed as a regional growth center in the Puget Sound Regional Council’s Vision 2040 regional growth management plan
- Poised to become one of the region’s most active transit hubs with the completion of Sound Transit’s Link light rail station in 2021
The goals of the project include:
- Connecting services and opportunities on the east and west sides of I-5
- Adding a new, accessible walking/biking route in Northgate that connects to the citywide network
- Providing better access to regional transit, including the existing transit center and future Link light rail station